Sunday, April 18, 2010

"Real" food vs. "fake" food

Michael Pollan talks about the health benefits of “real” food versus “fake” food. Fake food includes food that is not in its original state, but rather in its processed form. A lot of food that is in our society today is in its processed or “fake” form instead of the natural, real version. An example that I have come across in my past is pickles.

My grandmother makes her own pickles, which I used to eat all the time when I lived at home and more often when I was younger. She used to give us jars that would last all year round and when we would run out, she would give us more. Pickles would be a nice snack or additive to a dinner. Her pickles would taste real, have more texture, and provide other ingredients in the pickle juice that keeps the pickles fresher for a longer time. Now that my grandmother is getting older, she is pickling less cucumbers and thus, as a family, we are receiving less of her canned pickles. Especially now that I do not live at home, I do not eat these delicious pickles. Sometimes I will buy a jar of pickles from the store, but the taste and nutrition is not the same. The “fake” version is made with more unhealthy salt and vinegar, which make the taste slightly different. It is also not as healthy, which is discussed in this article that I found. I would return to the “real” version, or my grandmother’s version, when I have the opportunity. I enjoy the real taste and the actual nutrition I get from these pickles, and would love to be able to make them myself someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment